Invest in yourself! Join the fun!

Wise Woman Retreat: Reconnect with Nature & Your Inner Guidance

View Profile

Embrace Your Wise Woman

As you nestle into a cozy Adirondack chair by the campfire, laughter blends with the crackling of the fire. Sharing merriment with new friends, a rush of warmth envelops you—not only from the glowing embers but from the deeper, heartfelt connections forming around you.

The night’s gentle glow reflects off grateful faces, celebrating a day filled with nature's adventures. You realize a profound connection to the natural world around you – a bond long neglected by the demands of daily life. Here, surrounded by the nurturing presence of towering trees and the soft murmur of the river nearby, you feel truly welcomed—cradled by the earth itself.

Your gaze drifts upwards and you're captivated by stars twinkling against the night sky. The stars seem to smile down at you, offering comfort, and allowing everything else to fade away into a peaceful stillness. All feels right with the world.

The warm summer breeze and the melody of the crickets and tree frogs lull you further into relaxation. A soothing wave of calm washes over you, your shoulders relax, and your mind clears – free from others’ demands. Overlooked dreams and aspirations begin to surface, painting exciting possibilities for life’s next chapters.

Welcome to Feeling Fully Alive!

A sip of hot cocoa and a gooey s’more reminds you of the simple joys of your youth and reconnects you with the vibrant spirit of your younger self, eager for tomorrow’s fun adventures.

In this moment, a gentle realization dawns on you: you are exactly where you need to be, free from everyday worries, attuned to the rhythms of nature and the joy of life’s simplest pleasures.

Welcome to the Wise Woman Retreat

~ where you reconnect with what truly matters.

July 18-21, 2024

Discover a More Intentional Life

On this retreat, by immersing yourself in nature and restorative self-care activities, you can become more intentional about your life, feeling fully alive and in control instead of being like an observer of your life.

Can you imagine how rewarding it would feel to find new sources of fulfillment and purpose, especially after major life changes leave you questioning what’s next?

After a weekend of guided meditations, contemplative time in nature, and honest, heartfelt discussions with supportive, like-minded women, you will rediscover what lights you up, and experience the freedom to move forward focusing on your needs and desires as you move toward what you want.

How delightful would it be to consistently feel the excitement and fun of your younger years again?

Through playful activities like river tubing, kayaking, nature immersions, and camp games, you will get reacquainted with your younger self and find yourself laughing and enjoying yourself like you haven’t in years.

Wouldn’t it feel empowering to break free from the relentless pursuit of productivity and accomplishment?

On this retreat, through the gentle and mindful movement of Forest Therapy walks and Qigong and Tai Chi Easy(TM), you will unwind, destress, and return home giving yourself permission to slow down and recognize that your value is not based on your accomplishments, but that you are truly enough, just as you are!

The Venue

Welcome to Three Otters Eco Retreat – your escape from the everyday and invitation to commune with nature.

You’ll begin to feel the serenity of Three Otters Eco Retreat as soon as you drive down the driveway. The beautiful scene welcomes you – a perfect combination of enchanting forest, vast green meadow, and easy access to a tranquil stretch of the Potomac River, all beckoning you to come explore. As you stand in this remote area in the eastern panhandle of WV, just across the river from Maryland’s Green Ridge State Forest, you breathe in the aromatic air and truly feel welcomed by the land and its natural beings.

You’ll be spending time in a variety of welcoming gathering spaces designed to highlight the natural beauty around you, seamlessly blending the indoors with the outdoors. If necessary, you'll be protected from the elements while still feeling a deep connection to the serene outdoor environment. Here, you can relax and gather, feeling at one with nature without stepping away from the comfort provided.

Three Otters will allow you to experience the charm of the outdoors with all the comforts of home. This “glamping” (glamorous + camping) retreat blends cozy, well-equipped yurts, vintage trailers, tent cottages, and pop-up campers with the beauty of natural surroundings, providing a unique camping experience that offers comfort and convenience, perfect for those looking to escape into nature without leaving behind the essentials.

Accommodations

You have four cozy, comfortable options of single occupancy glamping accommodations to choose from (described below), all with modern amenities:

Let us know if you are interested in sharing accommodations – we may be able to make arrangements.

1. Yurts

Yurts are circular, fabric sided, portable structures with doors and windows. They can be opened up to the great outdoors with lots of ventilation, or they can be buttoned down to keep the elements out and you cozy within.

Each yurt has electricity, fans, side tables, chairs, area rugs, and lamps.

2. Vintage Trailers

Enjoy a walk down memory lane in a fully refurbished camper.

All vintage trailers have electricity, air conditioning, dinette table (table with two bench seats), and lamps.

3. Tent Cottages

The tent cottages have roomy porches and rain flies. They can be opened up to the summer breezes or buttoned down.

Each tent cottage has electricity, fans, area rugs, side tables, lamps, and shelving.

4. Pop-Up Campers

A delightful blend of camping and the comforts of home, pop up campers have electricity, air conditioning, dinette table (table with two bench seats), and lamps.

CUISINE: Meals Made with Love

Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with every meal. Your chef takes pride in crafting meals that are not only healthy and vibrant but also filled with skill and love in every bite. Enjoying our meals family style in a screened dining area, you’ll be surrounded by breathtaking scenery that enhances the sense of community and generosity at our table.

Relish the flavors of locally sourced delicacies, including special treats from the chef's personal garden. We're committed to using ingredients that are clean, local, fresh, organic, and ethically sourced whenever possible. Picture a vibrant crimson canvas of shredded red cabbage, dotted with an array of summer's finest jewels: ripe berries bursting with tangy-sweet flavor, succulent peach slices to add a delicate, floral note, and juicy peppers to complete the rainbow. This is not just a salad—it's a celebration of the season's bounty!

Plus, we're flexible and happy to adjust our recipes to meet any dietary needs or sensitivities. Throughout your stay, you will certainly enjoy the love and intention in every dish, leaving you feeling comforted and nourished.

OUR JOURNEY: Old Roman Bath House

Leave the Craziness Behind and Get Into the Right Mindset:

Your adventure begins in Berkeley Springs, a quaint, historic town nestled in the West Virginia mountains. As you sink into the Old Roman Bath House’s soothing mineral waters, the warmth seeps deep into your bones, melting away the tension of daily life and preparing you for a transformational weekend.

Then On To A Little Slice of Paradise:

You will drive (transportation not included as part of retreat) the 45-minute scenic drive to our home for the next three nights – Three Otters Eco Retreat, a truly magical space where you will enjoy the privilege of a private sanctuary, reserved exclusively for you and your fellow retreat participants (an intimate group of just 8 - 12 women).

OUR JOURNEY: Nature Immersion

You can begin each day with a serene, guided meditation and a nourishing breakfast, setting the stage for the day’s main event—a rejuvenating Forest Therapy Nature Immersion. Inspired by the Japanese practice of Shinrin-Yoku, or "forest bathing," this isn't your ordinary walk in the woods. It’s a purposeful, sensory journey through nature.

Imagine a practice where the goal isn’t to reach a destination, but to be truly present in the moment. Where every breath, sight, and touch is an interaction with the natural world, deepening your connection to everything around you. This is the essence of Forest Therapy—a mindful practice that offers more than just a pause; it offers a doorway to a deeper connection with the fabric of the natural world.

Your experience will be uniquely tailored to you, as each person receives exactly what they need, even if unknowingly.

The health and psychological benefits of Forest Therapy are profound and well-documented, boosting immune system strength, decreasing stress hormone levels, enhancing mental focus, and increasing energy (among other things). Forest Therapy fosters an intimate bond with nature, evoking feelings of peace and wholeness, enriching your overall well-being.

This retreat isn't just a temporary escape; it's a transformative experience that reconnects you with nature’s rhythms and, crucially, with yourself.

NOTE: All activities are adaptable to accommodate every fitness level, so everyone can join in without worry.

OUR JOURNEY: Ancient Wisdom

You will have the opportunity to participate in introductory sessions of Qigong & Tai Chi Easy(TM). Long recognized globally and now backed by extensive medical research, these gentle yet powerful practices promote healing and enhance health. Regular, low-impact exercise like Qigong and Tai Chi effectively boosts fitness levels. You’ll learn simple, effective techniques to ignite your vitality and improve your well-being.

There will be nightly campfires for you to enjoy, for socializing, relaxing, and of course – s’mores!

NOTE: Everything on the schedule is optional – this is YOUR weekend to do whatever your soul is calling for – we’re not going to make you DO anything - this is all about BE-ing).

OUR JOURNEY: Relaxation and Fun

You've told us you don't want to swap your busy daily life for an overscheduled retreat. That's why our schedule gives you plenty of leisure time when you can choose to read under the trees on the deck overlooking the river, nap in a hammock, or dive into river sports like kayaking and tubing. Explore serene hiking trails, play board games, or take a peaceful stroll along the scenic C&O Canal Towpath, a haven for wildlife. Keep an eye out for turtles, wood ducks, and perhaps even a beaver as you enjoy the natural beauty at your own pace. This retreat is your time to slow down and savor the moment in a picturesque setting.

Our official time together concludes after breakfast on Sunday – providing time for you to enjoy the charming town of Berkeley Springs on your own. This lovely town boasts fine art, delicious eateries, rejuvenating health spas, and a vibrant farmers market on Sundays.

Lasting Impact

How exciting would it be to stand at this crossroads in your life, clear about your life goals, rather than feeling unsure of what’s next?

By allowing yourself to slow down in a serene natural setting and take the time to reflect on your goals and dreams without the noise of the usual day-to-day, you will feel much more confident to make decisions based on who you really are instead of who you think everyone else wants you to be. 

Can you imagine how rejuvenating it would be to recognize your own worth and begin prioritizing your own wants and needs without feeling any guilt?

On this retreat, you’ll learn quick and easy self-care tools within a supportive community of new friends. These tools will allow you to reconnect with your hidden true identity so you can finally put yourself first and truly enjoy your life, knowing you are worth it!

Can you imagine the tranquility that you would feel knowing that you are living every moment fully, embracing this precious gift of life?

No one wants regrets and after spending quiet, reflective time with nature, and learning tools to easily bring yourself into the moment, you will feel fully alive and ready to focus on yourself so that you can enjoy your life more fully and completely.

How fulfilling would it be to see your children thriving as confident adults, inspired by you as their role model? 

On this retreat, by learning new ways of self-care that are easy and fun, you can feel centered and confident to live your best life, inspiring those around you (including your children) to live their own best lives, too.

Bonuses

• Two pre-trip group Zoom calls to get to know each other, cover trip logistics, and answer any questions.
  • One post-trip group Zoom call to ensure continued focus and integration on all you learned over the weekend.
  • Signed copy of Uncover Your Light: Empowering Stories of Hope and Resilienceco-authored by retreat leader, Karen Richter, and 20 other women, all sharing stories exploring the concept of how to shine brightly when you’ve lost touch with who you are.

What's Included:

• 3 nights’ cozy accommodation (single occupancy) – comfort with electricity, some with heat and/or AC)
  • Comfy bed linens and blankets
  • 8 delicious meals (3 dinners, 2 lunches, 3 breakfasts) plus delectable snacks
  • Nature Therapy Immersions
  • Qigong and Tai Chi EasyTM sessions
  • Soothing warm mineral soak in Berkeley Springs’ Old Roman Bath House
  • Inspiring guided discussions/meditations
  • Nightly campfires
  • Plenty of down time to relax in a hammock or read under a tree
  • Access to kayaks, tubes, and canoes (along with paddles and life jackets)
  • Camp Games
  • A few delightful surprises along the way!

What's NOT Included:

• Your round-trip transportation from home
  • Transportation between Berkeley Springs and Three Otters
  • Personal, medical or trip cancellation insurance (highly recommended!)
  • Towels (bath and beach)
  • Cell service (extremely limited cellphone service and no internet. Imagine that, a tech detox!) but there is a land-line phone available for use
  • Any extras while in Berkeley Springs, including: souvenirs, extra spa services (beyond mineral bath), laundry, etc.
  • Easy access to stores – you’ll want to be sure you bring everything you need – there’s no Wawa down the street…

Your Guide on this Journey - Karen Richter

My passion for nature has been a guiding force throughout my life, shaping my path from joyful explorations in hiking, camping, skiing, biking, and kayaking to leading adventures for my family and Girl Scout troop. Nature has always been my go-to place for things like relaxation, escape, fun, stress relief, and renewal.

Despite this lifelong connection, it wasn't until a transformative SCUBA diving experience as an adult that I recognized a profound sense of belonging, filling a yearning I had often felt but had never been able to define. 

And then, the true power of nature in healing and personal growth became even more clear to me years later while dealing with my own personal struggles with stress, self-doubt, grief, exhaustion, and resulting health challenges. It was then that I discovered Forest Therapy, which proved to be transformative. I now feel more fulfilled and confident, my feelings of self-worth are no longer tied to external validation—I am enough as I am. This experience has deepened my connection with nature and highlighted its profound effect on health and well-being. Inspired by my journey, 

Sharing What I've Learned

This realization steered me toward guiding others to explore their connections with nature. Leveraging my corporate experience, which was focused on maximizing professional potential, I continue to aim to empower women entrepreneurs and businesswomen, but using nature as our classroom and our teacher.

I'm thrilled to extend this invitation to you. Come along and join me on a journey of reconnection and awakening. This magical place awaits to offer you a mirror into your soul, providing clarity and insights. Whether you're seeking answers, peace, or a deeper understanding of yourself, this journey promises fresh perspectives. I can't wait to introduce you to a new relationship with the more-than-human world!

What People Are Saying...

“Karen has a gift for leading forest bathing nature immersions. The moment she started talking me into connecting with nature I felt a change in how I felt. I went from feeling stressed to a sense of peace. As the experience progressed into each new stage I began to have insight on my own impact on the earth and the impact of nature on me. It felt like an experience of healing, connection and destressing all rolled into one. I highly recommend anyone who is looking to have a deeper connection with nature or wanting to destress their life and feel more peace and joy to go on a nature experience with Karen.”

"Karen was a gracious and generous host, guiding us very gently through this experience. I found it so peaceful and relaxing - and it helped me to slow down and notice all nature has to offer us. The other participants were lovely and curious - very willing to experiment and share. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to more opportunities."

Add-on ‑US$400

Early Bird Discount

Register by 31 May 2024

Automatically applied upon check out if May 31st or earlier.

Still not sure if this trip is for you? Make an appointment on Karen's calendar to chat, or email [email protected]

View In Maps
Click or tap to load interactive map